The Arapaho National Forest was established by Theodore Roosevelt on July 1, 1908. The Roosevelt National Forest, originally part of the Medicine Bow Forest Reserve, was first named the Colorado National Forest in 1910 and was renamed by President Herbert Hoover to honor President Theodore Roosevelt in 1932. The Pawnee National Grassland was transferred to the Forest Service from the Soil Conservation Service in 1954. It was designated a national grassland in 1960.
Forest Supervisor Monte Williams lead a team of four Staff Groups, five District Rangers and the Colorado Capital City Coordinator. The headquarters for the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests and Pawnee National Grassland, which is part of the Rocky Mountain Region, is located in Fort Collins, Colorado. Ranger District Offices are located in Boulder, Fort Collins, Granby, Ault and Idaho Springs.
The USDA Forest Service is led by Chief Tom Tidwell with a national headquarters in Washington, D.C., the Forest Service operates through nine regions around the country.
The Rocky Mountain Research Station supports our natural-resource programs through relevant research and development of state-of-the-art management tools. The Fraser Experimental Forest is located on the Sulphur Ranger District of the forest.
General rules for national forests and grasslands include details about camping, pets, firearms, permits and more.
Working With Others
Forest Service staff work with stakeholders of all types, including volunteers, teachers, groups, tribes, permittees, contractors and other agencies. The Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests and Pawnee National Grassland (ARP) is the #1 recreation volunteer forest in the nation. New partnerships, such as the Front Range Fuels Treatment Partnership and the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests and Pawnee National Grassland Foundation, are a way for us to work with stakeholders and other agencies to further the vision of the ARP.