Other Permits

Special Use Permits

As a steward of the national forests, the Forest Service has a duty to minimize resource impacts on national forest system lands. Large group gatherings in the national forests have significant adverse impacts on forest resources, public health and safety, and the ability of the agency to allocate space in the face of increasing constraints on the use of national forest system land. A permit system allows the agency to address these problems more expeditiously, more effectively, and more equitably.

The Daniel Boone National Forest manages special uses consistent with National Forest Service Direction and that direction is found at http://www.fs.fed.us/specialuses/index.shtml

According to forest regulations, certain group gatherings require a special use permit for use of national forest system lands. Under the regulation, an activity that involves a group of 75 or more people, either as participants or spectators, is considered a 'group use'. A 'noncommercial' use is any activity where an entry or participation fee is not charged, and the primary purpose is not the sale of a goods or service. Some examples of noncommercial group uses are weddings, church services, endurance rides, regattas, camping trips, hikes, music festivals, rallies, graduations and races.

Please contact the Ranger District Offices for further information about non-recreation special use permits and recreation special use permits.

Special Use Authorization

A Special Use Authorization is a permit that grants rights or privileges of occupancy and use subject to specified terms and conditions on national norest land. These permits cover activities, such as construction of roads, power and water lines, research, mineral and timber processing. Please contact any Ranger District Office for information about non-recreation special use permits and recreation special use permits.