Skip to Main Content
Forest land area estimates from vegetation continuous fieldsAuthor(s): Mark D. Nelson; Ronald E. McRoberts; Matthew C. Hansen
Source: In: Remote sensing for field users: proceedings of the 10th Forest Service remote sensing applications conference; 2004 April 5-9; Salt Lake City, UT. Bethesda, MD: American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (275.49 KB)
DescriptionThe USDA Forest Service's Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program provides data, information, and knowledge about our Nation's forest resources. FIA regional units collect data from field plots and remotely sensed imagery to produce statistical estimates of forest extent (area); volume, growth, and removals; and health and condition. There is increasing need to analyze and display FIA estimates within a geospatial context. A nationwide map of forest land would provide the basis for mapping additional FIA attributes. Forest land maps derived from existing satellite image-based land cover products are inconsistent with FIA estimates of forest land area, especially within smaller geographic areas. We describe an image stratification approach for calibrating MODIS Vegetation Continuous Fields (VCF) data to produce maps of forest land that provide unbiased estimates of forest land area compared to FIA estimates across multiple spatial scales.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNelson, Mark D.; McRoberts, Ronald E.; Hansen, Matthew C. 2004. Forest land area estimates from vegetation continuous fields. In: Remote sensing for field users: proceedings of the 10th Forest Service remote sensing applications conference; 2004 April 5-9; Salt Lake City, UT. Bethesda, MD: American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing.
- Estimating number and size of forest patches from FIA plot data
- Combining forest inventory, satellite remote sensing, and geospatial data for mapping forest attributes of the conterminous United States
- Small area estimation in forests affected by wildfire in the Interior West
XML: View XML