Skip to Main Content
High spatial resolution satellite observations for validation of MODIS land products: IKONOS observations acquired under the NASA scientific data purchase.Author(s): Jeffrey T. Morisette; Jaime E. Nickeson; Paul Davis; Yujie Wang; Yuhong Tian; Curtis E. Woodcock; Nikolay Shabanov; Matthew Hansen; Warren B. Cohen; Doug R. Oetter; Robert E. Kennedy
Source: Remote Sensing of Environment. 88: 100-110
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (1.87 MB)
DescriptionPhase 1I of the Scientific Data Purchase (SDP) has provided NASA investigators access to data from four different satellite and airborne data sources. The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectrometer (MODIS) land discipline team (MODLAND) sought to utilize these data in support of land product validation activities with a lbcus on tile EOS Land Validation Core Sites. These sites provide a globally distributed network of sites where field, aircraft, and satellite data are being collected. As much as possible, uniform data sets useful for validation are being made available for the core sites. The globally consistent, high-resolution imagery available from IKONOS are being used for their geolocation accuracy and ability to characterize the landscape at the 1- to 4-m spatial resolution. This paper provides an overview of the MODIS Land Team's validation strategy to incorporate high-resolution imagery and presents three case studies as examples of the use of IKONOS data lbr MODIS land validation activities. We conclude that the globally consistent data from IKONOS, available through NASA's SDE have supplied critical validation data sets at a reasonable cost.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMorisette, Jeffrey T.; Nickeson, Jaime E.; Davis, Paul; Wang, Yujie; Tian, Yuhong; Woodcock, Curtis E.; Shabanov, Nikolay; Hansen, Matthew; Cohen, Warren B.; Oetter, Doug R.; Kennedy, Robert E. 2003. High spatial resolution satellite observations for validation of MODIS land products: IKONOS observations acquired under the NASA scientific data purchase. Remote Sensing of Environment. 88: 100-110
KeywordsMODIS, IKONOS, NASA
- Site-level evaluation of satellite-based global terrestrial gross primary production and net primary production monitoring.
- Scaling Gross Primary Production (GPP) over boreal and deciduous forest landscapes in support of MODIS GPP product validation.
- Spatial, spectral and temporal patterns of tropical forest cover change as observed with multiple scales of optical satellite data.
XML: View XML