Skip to Main Content
ß-Phellandrene: Kairomone for Pine Engraver, Ips pini (Say) (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)Author(s): Daniel R. Miller; John H. Borden
Source: Journal of Chemical Ecology, Vol. 16, No. 8, 1990
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (324 KB)
DescriptionThe responses of Ips pini (Scolytidae) to multiple-funnel traps baited with the pheromone, ipsdienol, and various monoterpenes were determined in stands of lodgepole pine in southern and central British Columbia. Ips pini was attracted to both ipsdienol and ß-phellandrene, demonstrating that ß-phellandrene is a kairomone for this species. Lasconotus complex (Colydiidae) and a Corticeus sp. (Tenebrionidae) were attracted to both ipsdienol and ß-phellandrene. The Corticeus sp. exhibited a synergistic response to the combination of ipsdienol and ß-phellandrene; the responses of the other two species to the combination were additive. The predators, Thanasimus undatulus, Enoclerus sphegeus, and E. lecontei (Cleridae), were attracted to ips-dienol-baited traps, while Monochamus clamator (Cerambycidae) and Dendroctonus ponderosae (Scolytidae) were attracted to ß-phellandrene. Attraction of all eight species increased with increasing release rates of ips-dienol and/or ß-phellandrene.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMiller, Daniel R.; Borden, John H. 1990. ß-Phellandrene: Kairomone for Pine Engraver, Ips pini (Say) (Coleoptera: Scolytidae). Journal of Chemical Ecology, Vol. 16, No. 8, 1990
KeywordsKaimmone, ß-phellandrene, ipsdienol, monoterpenes, Ips pini, Coleoptera, Scolytidae, predators, competition, primary attraction, dose response.
- Dose-Dependent Pheromone Responses of Ips pini, Orthotomicus latiden (Coleoptera: Scolytidae), and associates in stands of lodgepole pine
- Pheromone interruption of pine engraver, Ips pini, by pheromones of mountain pine beetle, Dendroctonus ponderosae (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)
- E-Myrcenol: A New Pheromone for the Pine Engraver, Ips Pini (Say) (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)
XML: View XML