Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Control of Sediment Export From The Forest Road PrismAuthor(s): Johnny M. Grace
Source: Transactions of the ASAE 45(4): 1127-1132.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (178 KB)
DescriptionThe effectiveness of four road turn-out ditch treatments (vegetation, rip-rap, sediment fences, and settling basins) in reducing sediment export to the forest floor was evaluated. These four runoff control method are commonly prescribed to control forest road runoff and sediments. The study utilized runoff samplers, runoff diversion walls, sediment filter bags, and erosion stakes to evaluate runoff concentration reductions through the treatments and sediment export downslope of the treatments. Settling basin, sediment fence, and vegetation treatments had no significant differences in runoff concentration reductions, which averaged more than 40%. The rip-rap was significantly less effective at reducing rurwff concentration than were either the vegetation or sediment fence. The sediment basins were very effective during smaller storm events, but not during the largest storms, when they overflowed. The sediment basin exported the least amount of smaller-sized sediment that is likely to be delivered to stream systems.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGrace, Johnny M., III. 2002. Control of Sediment Export From The Forest Road Prism. Transactions of the ASAE 45(4): 1127-1132.
KeywordsForest roads, Soil erosion, Conservation practices, Surface runoff
- Sediment Export from Forest Road Turn-outs: A Study Design and Preliminary Results
- Minimizing the Impacts of the Forest Road System
- Sediment Transport Investigations on the National Forests of Alabama
XML: View XML