Greys River Ranger District
Winter road closures based on Wyoming Range Snowmobile Maps have ended as of May 1, so most of the district is open, depending on snow levels and mud. Use caution Call the District Office at 886-5300 for current information on access.
Summer seasonal road openings are available on the Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) and as follows:
Road Conditions: Last Updated: May 31st, 2016
- Smiths Fork Road: Road is open approximately 14 miles before running into snow.
- Opening 6/1-9/10 : Elk Creek 10152, Park Creek 10365, Buck Creek 10367, Bug Creek 10347
- Opening 6/1-10/10: South Fork Bear Creek 10214
- Opening 7/1-9/10: Blind Trail 10334, N. Fork Corral Creek 10426, Fish Creek 10381, Spring Creek 10242
- 7/1-9/10: Squaw-Murphy (50” route) 3183, Telephone Pass 3075
All Greys River Campgrounds and reservable sites are open. Cabins are all accessible as well, but no water is currently available at Cazier Guard Station. Please check with the front desk if you have a reservation at Cazier to find out if the water system has been fixed.
Big Piney Ranger District: Last Updated June 2nd, 2016
- South Piney Creek Road (FS #10128) There is a major washout, on Thompson Pass as a result of the heavy rains and runoff from winter snowpack. This washout is impassable to full sized vehicles and restricts access to LaBarge Creek from Snyder Basin on the Big Piney Ranger District. ATV’s/UTV’s/Dirtbikes may be able to navigate through this washout, but do so at their own risk, and travel is not recommended as the area is very unstable. The Big Piney Ranger District is working with the Bridger-Teton NF engineering department to repair this road issue. Please travel carefully.
- Wyoming Range Road (FS #10046) There is a washout on the Wyoming Range Road, near Coal Creek, 2.5 miles north of South Piney, on the Big Piney Ranger District, as a result of heavy rains in May and runoff from winter snowpack. This washout is passable by full sized vehicles at this time. Trailer traffic is not recommended as the roadway is quite narrow. The Big Piney Ranger District is working with the Bridger-Teton NF engineering department to repair this road issue. Please travel carefully.
Jackson Ranger District:
Road Conditions: Last Updated: May 5th, 2016
- Granite Creek Road (FS #30500): Road open as far as the turn-off to the Safari Club, approximately first 6 miles. Barrier located at this location due to lingering snow covering the road. FS Campground and Hot Springs Pool Facility closed and not accessible yet. Conditions will be monitored and rest of road will open as snow melts off.
- Little Granite Creek Road (FS #30505): Road is still gated closed and will open when the road is clear of snow and dry.
- Bull Creek Road (FS #30497): Road is free of snow and now open.
- Cabin Creek Road (FS #31029): Road is open and free of snow, but may be muddy and 4x4 vehicle recommended.
- Dog Creek TH: (FS #31030): Road is open and free of snow, but may be muddy and 4x4 vehicle recommended.
- Fall Creek Road (FS #31000): Open and currently dry and free of snow
- NF Fall Creek Road (FS #30995): Only open the first ½ mile, barrier at this location due to road still covered with snow. Will be monitored and will open as snow melts off.
- Mosquito Creek Road (FS #30980): Road closed 0.68 miles up at seasonal gate which will open on June 1st.
- Curtis Canyon Road (FS #30440): Road open beyond first switchbacks above campground to a point approximately ¼ mile before the junction with the Sheep Creek Road. Sheep Creek Road and Goodwin Lake Trailhead is still inaccessible. The conditions will be monitored and the barrier will be moved as snow melts out.
- Flat Creek Road (FS #30442): This road is now completely open to its end and mostly dry, but very rough in some sections-caution advised and 4x4 vehicle recommended.
- Gros Ventre Road (FS #30400): First seasonal gate at Atherton Creek Campground now open and the Lower Gros Ventre Road is open and dry as far as the 2nd seasonal gate located near the Slate Creek TH turn-off approximately ten mile up the road. The 2nd gate will open on June 1 accessing the Upper Gros Ventre Corridor.
- Ditch Creek Road (FS #30350): Road is still snow covered approximately one mile up the road where a barrier is located. Conditions will be monitored and the road will open when snow has melted out.
- Shadow Mountain Road (FS #30340): Both north and south gates are closed due to much of the road still covered with snow. Road conditions will be monitored and will open when snow melts out.
CAMPGROUNDS and RENTAL CABINS
The opening of the campgrounds and rental cabins across the Bridger-Teton can be delayed due to weather conditions. Due to the unpredictable nature of the weather, visitors may encounter delayed openings or early closings at the beginning or end of the season. You can check with the Forest if you are making early season or late fall travel plans for the latest information. 307-739-5500. Cabin rentals can only be done through the www.recreation.gov portal.
Note: There are no reservations taken for any of our campgrounds, they are all on a "first come, first served" basis.
Annually, the Bridger-Teton provides fall color information that visitors can see throughout the area. Colors change annually on the Bridger-Teton from the first of September through the first of November.
The Bridger-Teton National Forest reminds visitors that fireworks are not permitted anywhere on the Forest by a Special Order signed by the Regional Forester.
ONGOING FIRES AND EMERGENCIES:
Current Fire Information
TEMPORARY & LONG-TERM CLOSURES & RESTRICTIONS
There are several regulations that visitors are required to follow while visiting the Bridger-Teton National Forest. These are typically noted by a Special Order or a specific closure. Examples of these include the Bear Food Storage Order or our Winter Closures for wildlife. Visit the Special Orders and temporary closures list to ensure you are complying with regulations.
No Fire Restrictions are currently in place.
ANIMAL TRAPPING INFORMATION
Trapping "furbearing animals" and "non-furbearing animals" regulations are strictly enforced year-long in Forest Lands.
WINTER CLOSURE AREA MAPS
Don't Poach the Powder!
Jackson Ranger District:
Greys River Ranger District: