The Forest is divided into two administrative units, called Ranger Districts. On the eastside of the Forest is Hidden Springs Ranger District, in Vienna, IL and on the westside, Mississippi Bluffs Ranger District, in Jonesboro, IL.
GPS Coordinates of Sites of Interest
Download the Forest Guide Map to assist in trip planning. Once you decide where you plan to go on the Forest it is easier to determine what maps or publications you may need. Topographic maps, trail maps and recreation information is available at all Shawnee National Forest offices. To purchase maps through the mail, use the MAP ORDER FORM.
List of Quadrangle Maps by County
RIVER TO RIVER TRAIL
Part of the American Discovery Trail, The River to River Trail spans southern Illinois between the Ohio River and the Mississippi River and is approximately 160 miles long.
River to River Trail Maps
List of Quadrangle Maps for the River To River Trail
HIKER/EQUESTRIAN TRAIL MAPS
A detailed hiker/equestrian trail map (covering the Herod/Eddyville areas) is available through the Friends of the Shawnee organization.
This two-sided map sells for $12.00 (including tax) and features:
- Made of water-resistant materials
- Topographic contour lines
- Trail numbers and trailhead locations
- Special designation areas are shown on map
- Points of interests
- Private campgrounds under special use permit
- lat and longs locations of highline areas
- Visitor information and contact numbers
- Includes several inset maps to enlarge small details from the main map.
- 25% of the sales of this map supports trail improvements in the Shawnee NF
The Eddyville/Herod Trail Map is available to purchase at the Harrisburg and Vienna Forest offices. To order the map through the mail visit the Friends of the Shawnee website.
Motor Vehicle Use Maps
Download or view Shawnee National Forest Cadastral Survey maps.