The Tahoe National Forest is located in the northeastern center of California.
Where is this Forest?


Passes & Permits

The Forest Service provides many goods and services in a sustainable manner. Passes and permits help to provide those opportunities while protecting the natural resources. Permits may be required for commercial or recreational endeavors listed below. 

Wilderness Permits are not required in the Granite Chief Wilderness, the only Wilderness in the Tahoe National Forest.

California Campfire permits are required for the use of campfires, charcoal fires or portable gas stoves outside developed campgrounds or designated recreation sites on National Forest System lands. These are free and are available at all Forest Service, BLM, or CAL FIRE offices.

Recreation Permits and Passes – a variety of Federal Recreational Land Passes provide opportunities to help you enjoy your National Forest and can save you money.

Personal Woodcutting Permits - You can cut firewood in the Tahoe National Forest but you must have a permit. These are available at all Tahoe National Forest offices for $30 ($15 per cord with a 2 cord minimum).

Forest Product Permits – Collecting products on National Forest System lands for commercial and private use requires a Forest Product Permit. Commonly requested permits are for mushrooms, posts, poles and rails, and pinecones.

Special Use Permits – National Forests provide a variety of land use and commercial/organized recreation opportunities which may require a special use permit.


Christmas Tree Cutting

Many people enjoy choosing and cutting their own Christmas tree. The Tahoe National Forest does not issue Christmas Tree permits. Check out this page to find out where you can cut your own special tree.