Boise National Forest - Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)

Motor Vehicle Use Maps



Information Regarding Application of Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)


The Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) is a requirement of the 2005 Final Travel Management Rule and is a product of the 1997 revision of the Forest Plan and travel management decisions on each Ranger District.


The MVUM displays National Forest System (NFS) routes (roads and trails) or areas designated as open to motorized travel.  The MVUM also displays allowed uses by vehicle class (ex. highway-legal vehicles, vehicles 50 inches in width or less and motorcycles), seasonal allowances, distance allowances, and provides information on other travel rules and regulations.    


Routes not shown on the MVUM are not open to public motor vehicle travel. Routes designated for motorized use may not always be signed on the ground but will be identified on the MVUM. It will be the public’s responsibility to reference the MVUM to stay on designated routes for motor vehicle use.



David Kamo


David Kamo - Watch video now!


The MVUM is a black and white map with no topographic features. It is a map for legal designations of where you can travel with various motorized vehicles, but for additional reference it is best used in conjunction with a Forest Visitor Map or other detailed map.


The MVUM is free to the public at each local Ranger District office and at the Supervisor’s Office. The MVUM is available on this website and sections of it may be printed from your home computer.


Boise NF MVUM Maps:  (With the exception of Lowman RD, there is an east and west side for each District.)

  •  Mountain Home Ranger District
  •  Cascade Ranger District
  •  Lowman Ranger District
  •  Idaho City Ranger District
  •  Emmett Ranger District



Use Avenze Map App to Download MVUMs

The 2021 MVUMs are available! (coming soon)

Avenza Map Logo


Boise Forest Visitor and Motor Vehicle Use Maps are available through the Avenza Map Store.  The Avenza PDF Maps Application is free of charge and available for most Apple iPhone Operating System products. The application can be downloaded directly to mobile devices through the iTunes store.  A beta version of the app for Android devices is also available at the Avenza website.  The maps are geo-referenced and will work in conjunction with the GPS-enabled iPhone Operating System devices (iPhone 3GS and higher/ iPads with 3G/LTE).  For more information on Avenza PDF maps, please refer to the Avenza website.  There will be a charge for the Forest Visitor Maps, while Motor Vehicle Use Maps and others will be free of charge.


Directions for Downloading Forest Maps with Avenza App


Boise National Forest QR codes for Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)s.


 MVUM Kurt Casselli photo - world

Kurt Caselli speaks about having your MVUM -Watch video now!



Frequently Asked Questions About MVUMs

Where can I get a MVUM?

Maps are posted on this website and paper copies of these maps will be available free of charge at each of the Boise National Forest offices. Other partners and distribution locations may be developed over time to help disseminate maps.


How many MVUM's are there for the Boise National Forest?

There is one map for the each of the five Boise NF Ranger Districts. Currently all of the maps are available at Boise NF Offices, and posted to the website. 


How do I print the MVUM?

A full-size version of the MVUM is 36” x 44” and cannot be printed on conventional home printers. A full-size version can only be printed from a large plotter. Many local copy shops, engineering and survey businesses can print the map.


To be readable, only a portion of the MVUM can be printed on 8 ½” x 11” paper using home printers. With Adobe Acrobat®, use the “Print Current View” function to print the view on your screen. It is recommended that the legend box be printed to aid in interpretation of the MVUM.


Photo of a black and white road map


What does a MVUM show me?

  • The map displays all National Forest System roads, trails and designated areas allowing public motor vehicle use. This is commonly referred to as designation. It also states that driving off designated roads and trails is prohibited (36 CFR 261.13)

  • Motorized use includes but is not limited to Motorcycles, ATV’s, and 4-wheel drive vehicles.

  • Designation details include vehicle class, time of year, and motorized access for the purpose of dispersed camping (camping in established locations other than campgrounds).

  • The MVUM also shows roads where only highway-legal vehicles are allowed because of user safety considerations.


Limited motor vehicle access may occur on routes not shown on the MVUM for the purpose of administrative access by Forest Service personnel; for fire and law enforcement; for emergency purposes; and by persons authorized by a written special use permit or contract from the Forest Service.


Does the MVUM also show mechanized and non-motorized trails and over-snow vehicle uses?

No, a visitor map or recreation opportunity map will provide information on over-snow and non-motorized routes, including mechanized trails, hiking, and horse trails. Over-snow vehicle use is exempted from designations on the MVUM. Regardless of what other maps (including the Forest Visitor Map) may show as motorized routes, only those routes identified on the MVUM are designated as open to public motorized use and legal for public motorized travel.


Boise NF - OHV


What do you mean by vehicle class?

By vehicle class we are referring to size or type of motorized vehicles. The following are typical MVUM vehicle class and route designations:

  • Roads open to all vehicles (licensed and unlicensed)
  • Roads open to highway legal vehicles only
  • Trails open to all (full size) vehicles (trails may be rugged and narrow- intended for 4x4s)
  • Trails open to vehicles 50 inches in width or less (ATV, motorcycle, etc.)
  • Trails open to motorcycles only (single track)


It’s important to understand that routes and areas shown open to certain vehicle classes does not mean they are maintained for or suitable for travel using those vehicles. It simply means it is legal to use them. For example, many low standard roads may be open to all motor vehicles. This designation includes passenger cars, although it may not be prudent to drive this type of vehicle on the route due to the condition of the surface or during inclement weather.


What do you mean by a season allowance?

Some routes or areas may be open only during certain times of the year for various reasons such as to reduce wildlife disturbance, protect users from unsafe or impassable conditions and to reduce impacts to other resource values, like soil, water, and vegetation. Are there road and trail route marker signs on the ground?


On the Boise NF our goal is to have most, if not all, of our motorized travel routes signed at primary junctions, at any given time. In some cases, a route marker may exist at the entrance of the road/trail with symbols indicating which classes of vehicles are allowed. Routes designated for motorized uses will be identified on the MVUM. The MVUM is an enforcement tool to ensure individuals are on the correct route.


It is the responsibility of the user to determine if they are on a route designated for the motor vehicle being used. MVUM's will be developed for each forest nationwide. It is not only a tool for motorized users, but also a consistent and standardized law enforcement tool.  When will the MVUM become enforceable?


The MVUM becomes enforceable when the map has been posted to the web and is available to the public in a hard copy format. Typically, the maps will be posted on the web first. Hard copy maps will be available 30 to 60 days after the web posting. .



3 guys looking at a map


After MVUMs are available to the public in map form and on the web, what will be the USFS enforcement strategy?

When new regulations are posted, the Forest Service provides some time to educate the public about the specifics of the regulation.  A law enforcement officer contact with the public is a great opportunity to provide information education and create awareness about MVUMs.  However, law enforcement officers can issue a notice of violation anytime after the MVUM is publically available.  Users should be aware that these maps have been available for a couple of years.


Your Safety Is Important To Us

Idaho state law currently allows individuals under 16 years old to operate off-highway vehicles (OHV) on National Forest System roads whether or not they have a driver's license, however in 2011, the Idaho legislature passed Senate Bill 1001 which requires underage operators on National Forest roads to complete an OHV safety course through the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation.  

When traveling on National Forest System roads, you may encounter other drivers of all ages with varying experience levels and different types of motorized vehicles. Please take extra care to watch for all kinds of traffic to avoid life-altering collisions on roads managed by your national forest.


Another source of Motorized and Non-motorized maps is through the Idaho Off-Highway Vehicle Program with the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation. 



For more information about attending the OHV safety course: 

Off Highway Vehicle Requirements Information

State of Idaho Parks and Recreation Class Schedules and Classes. 

Voices at the Idaho Statesman - Blog site about current legislation