Event/Commercial Permits

Special use permits are required for certain events and for commercial activities that take place on National Forest System lands.

  • Events could include things like a triathlon or a bicycle race, and could also refer to group uses with 75 or more people such as a wedding.
  • Commercial permits include activities such as a business operating on the Forest; examples including outfitting and guiding services, filming and photography, or shuttle transportation.

Recreation Event Permits:   In order to complete the necessary environmental analysis, 6 months or more could be required to approve new requests. Contact the appropriate Ranger District where you wish the event to take place to learn more about event permits. 

Group Use Permits:  Generally groups of 75 or more people are required to obtain a special use permit when gathering on National Forest System lands.  If you are interested in bringing a group of this size to the Bridger-Teton National Forest, please contact the appropriate Ranger District to submit a proposal for a permit.

  • In addition, there are specific types of group use permits that are required on the Bridger-Teton National Forest including those specifically for floating the Snake River and for Wilderness Areas. See these sections of our website for further information regarding these particular types of group use permits.

  • For Wedding Permits in the Jackson Area, make sure to fill out the request form and send it to the contact person listed. 

Filming/Photography Permits:  Frequently, filming and photography activities require a permit on Forest System lands. You might also want to review the requirements to learn more about this activity and when the permit is pertinent.

Commercial Permits:  Many businesses currently operate on the Bridger-Teton National Forest.  Typically, previous planning efforts determine the need for serving the public on Forest System lands.  Contact the appropriate Ranger District where you wish to operate a business in order to learn more about commercial permits on the Bridger-Teton National Forest.