Land & Resource Management

Al Wright (Wilderness Ranger) & Horses at Governor Dern Lake, a sign on a tree that shows the lake name. A critical part of the Forest Service mission is protecting and managing the national forests and grasslands so they best demonstrate the sustainable multiple-use management concept. The Forest Service is charged with managing natural resources in a way that best serves the multiple needs of a growing and changing nation. The agency was initially established to ensure a renewable supply of timber and a steady source of clean water and minerals. 

The Intermountain Region includes all of Nevada and Utah, southern Idaho, western Wyoming and much smaller proportions of California and Colorado. This area is very complex and has great variability in topography, climate, and geology. Natural resources include a wide variety of flora and fauna, as well as anything that exists without the assistance of mankind. 

Most National Forests within the Region are on mountains and plateaus that stand well above the surrounding lowlands, valleys and plains. These are sometimes referred to as “mountain islands”. Because of this, and differences in geology, soils, climate and geography, the plants on one mountain area may be very different from those found on another nearby mountain. Roughly 60% of the Intermountain Regions lands are forest and woodland vegetation with the other 40% mainly in shrubby and herbaceous vegetation.

Program areas within the Land and Resource Management scope include Botany, Hydrology, Wildlife, Fisheries, Range, Timber and Burned Area Emergency Response.  

Research Natural Areas

Research Natural Areas are lands within the National Forest System that are permanently protected as baseline areas to allow attainment of Potential Natural Condition (PNC) for that location, conduct monitoring to measure changes from PNC on surrounding managed lands, monitor rate of changes from PNC, maintain biological diversity and foster education.

Colorado | Idaho Nevada Utah Wyoming

 

Wilderness in the USFS

The National Wilderness Preservation System is a network of over 109 million acres – more area than the state of California - of public land comprised of more than 760 wilderness areas administered for the American people by the federal government.  These are special places where nature still calls the shots.  Places where people like you, with an appetite for adventure, can find a sense of true self-reliance and experience solitude.  They are final holdout refuges for a long list of rare, threatened, and endangered species, forced to the edges by modern development.  They are the headwaters of critical, life-infusing rivers and streams.  They are places where law mandates above all else that wildness be retained for our current generation, and those who will follow.   

Wilderness

Shared Stewardship

Shared Stewardship is an invitation to States, Tribes, local governments, partners and stakeholders to set landscape-scale priorities, leverage resources, and work across boundaries to improve forest and watershed conditions and protect communities.

Shared Stewardship



https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/r4/landmanagement