Passes & Permits

Recreation Passes & Permits

Annual Passes 2017 The Interagency Passes are honored nationwide at all Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and US Fish & Wildlife Service sites charging entrance or standard amenity fees.

Forest Product Permits

Forest productsCollecting and removing forest products requires a permit. Forest products include items such as,  edible material, decorative material, minerals, plants, and other woody material. Mushroom and Bracken Fern Permit information

Special Use Permits

Special Use PermitsCertain types of uses of public lands require "Special Use Authorizations." These include commercial activities, such as filming, guiding, and events.

Campfire Permits

CampfireCampfire Permits are required for the use of campfires, charcoal fires or portable gas stoves outside a designated recreation sites. These are free and are available at all Forest Service, BLM, or CAL FIRE offices, or online at

Woodcutting Permits

fuelwood permit Before you collect any firewood you are required to obtain a firewood cutting permit. Permits are available at Forest Service offices and at some seasonal offices during the summer. Woodcutting and Fire Restriction Information

Wilderness Permits

Wilderness permitWilderness permits are required year-round on the Sierra National Forest for all overnight trips into the John Muir, Ansel Adams, Dinkey and Kaiser Wildernesses. Day-use wilderness permits are not required.

"Permit Reservations now on, " 


Fee-Free Days

The Forest Service waives recreation fees at most day-use sites on lands managed by the agency. Participation by concession-operated sites may vary. The 2022 dates are:

Sno-Park Permits:

A SNO-PARK permit is required for each vehicle parked at a SNO-PARK site from November 1 through May 30 of each year.