Paradise Valley Ranger Station
The Santa Rosa National Forest was created on April 1, 1911 and was divided into three districts. The main Supervisor’s Office was located in Paradise Valley with Winifred W. Blakeslee as the first Forest Supervisor.
On July 1, 1917 the Santa Rosa National Forest was eliminated and its lands were consolidated into the Humboldt National Forest with its headquarters in Elko, Nevada. It wasn’t until December 18, 1933 that the Forest Service purchased Lots 4-10, Block E in the town of Paradise Valley for construction of a new Ranger Station.
Members of the Civilian Conservation Corps Camp F-5, who lived adjacent to the purchased lots, began construction at the station during the fall of 1934. They quickly succeeded in building the office, garage/storeroom, barn, and the water system, which included a pump house and a large stone cistern. In 1936 the gas and oil house was built.
Building construction was halted at the guard station while the men of Camp F-5 turned their attention on construction of the Hinkey Summit Road. It wasn’t until 1941 that the warehouse/shop and house were built.
The station was heavily used through the years and in 1947 a request to the Regional Office was made to build an addition onto the equipment building to accommodate forest guards. The request was denied and as a solution, a barn was moved from the Toiyabe Ranger Station near Reno and converted to a bunkhouse.
The Santa Rosa District moved back and forth between the Humboldt and Toiyabe National Forests before settling in on the Humboldt National Forest. Today it is a District on the combined Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest.
The Paradise Valley Ranger Station continues to retain a high level of historic integrity with only a few changes made over the years. In 1996 the station was evaluated for its eligibility to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its significance on a statewide level in the areas of politics/government, conservation and architecture. The site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 19, 1996. The bunkhouse is the only structure that was determined not-eligible for inclusion on the National Register because it was moved to the station less than 50 years before the nomination.
The office was completed in 1935 based off the Region Four Plan 51 designed by Regional Architect George L. Nichols. It is 16’ x 40’ and divided into two rooms with porches off the front and back.
The dwelling was completed in 1941 and was based off Region Four Plan 1. It is 34’ x 36’ and typical of Colonial Revival houses with a centered entry and a 1.5 story, side-gabled form.
The barn was constructed in 1935 from Region Four Plan 11 and is 18’ x 30’. The barn had four horse stalls and a granary. The hayloft was accessed by a wooden ladder.
The two car garage and storeroom was constructed in 1935 from Region Four Plan 21. It is 20’ x 36’ and has two rooms. In 1940 a toilet and shower room was added for use by the enrollees from the nearby CCC camp.
The pump house was constructed in 1935 as part of the water system. It was originally 12’ x 12’ x 30’ tall and housed a 1.5 hp Fairbanks-Morse gas engine and 2,000 gallon tank. It was shortened about 1958 when an associated 1700 gallon redwood tank was removed.
Gas and Oil House
The gas and oil house was constructed in 1936 from Region Four Plan 95. It is 14’ x 16’ and originally included an opening on the south for unloading barrels.
The bunkhouse was originally a barn that was located on the Toiyabe National Forest near Reno. It was built in 1938 and moved to Paradise Valley by 1949. It has been completely remodeled to house employees. The tack room was converted to a bathroom in 1978.
This building was constructed in 1941 off Region Four Plan 33A as a storeroom and 3-car garage. It is 24’ x 40’.