The Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests are located in the western center part of Colorado.
Where is this Forest?


Passes & Permits

There is no entrance fee for the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forest. The Forest is open year-round for a variety of recreational activities and uses. However, there are fees at campgrounds and day use areas that are operated by the Forest's concessionaire from May to September. A few campgrounds are operated by Forest Service staff during the summer. The Forest Service also keeps some areas open before and after the concessionaire's full service season.

Before you plan an activity on the Forest, please be sure to check whether or not you need a permit or pass. Permits are not required for hiking on the Forest. Common activities that that may require a permit include wood cutting, mushroom picking, rock collecting and cutting a Christmas tree.

Recreation Pass Information

On the GMUG National Forest,  passes (Annual, Senior, Access, Military, Golden Age & Access) will provide a discount on campsite fees (group site fees are excluded from disccounts). These passes do not provide any discounts or waiver of fees associated with Day- Use areas.  

Forest Products:
Edible material, decorative material, minerals (rocks) , plants, woody material such as Christmas trees and firewood.

Events and Commercial Permits:

  • Outfitter Guide Information
  • Recreation Events
  • Filming
  • Group Uses 

Other Permits:
For other items such as road use, snow removal, etc. Please contact the appropriate Ranger District Office for information on other permits.