Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Special-use Permit Application

What are special-use authorizations?

A special-use authorization is a legal document such as a permit, term permit, lease, or easement, which allows occupancy, use, rights, or privileges of agency land. The authorization is granted for a specific use of the land for a specific period of time.

When do I need a special-use permit?

  • If you will need to occupy, use or build on Forest Service land for personal or business purposes, whether the duration is temporary or long term.
  • If there is a fee being charged or if income is derived from the use.
  • If an activity on those lands land involve individuals or organization with 75 or more participants or spectators.

Are there forms I need to complete?

The agency has a variety of application forms based on your need.

Is my proposal appropriate?

  • Your request must be consistent with current agency laws, regulations, orders and policies, other federal laws, and applicable state and local health and sanitation laws.
  • Your request must be consistent or made consistent with the standards and guidelines in the applicable Land and Resource Management Plan.
  • Your request must not pose serious or substantial risk to public health or safety.
  • Your request must not require exclusive or perpetual right of use or occupancy.
  • Your request does not unreasonably conflict or interfere with administrative uses, other scheduled or authorized existing uses, or use of adjacent non-Forest Service lands.
  • The proponent must not owe any fees to the Forest Service from a prior or existing special-use authorization.
  • No gambling or providing of sexually oriented commercial services can be authorized, even if permitted under state law.
  • No military or paramilitary training or exercises by private organizations or individuals can be authorized, unless it is federally funded.
  • No disposal of solid waste or storage or disposal of radioactive or other hazardous substances can be authorized.

In January 2023, the Agency worked with the BLM to complete the triennial minimum fee update for Outfitting and Guiding, per FSH 2709.11 Chapter 37.21a. The new minimum fee for outfitting and guiding is $130 a year and the new assigned site fee is $260 a year.