Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Contracts & Commercial Permits

Greening, Community Building

Chief Tidwell takes part in a ceremonial tree planting after the agency awarded $181,000 to Urban Releaf of Oakland, Calif. The money supports the Green Street Research, Demonstration and Education Project as well as tree planting and maintenance through Oakland. The project includes public education about water conservation.

Contracting with the Forest Service

We want to do business with you. Forest Service contractors perform a wide range of services including housekeeping, fire and aviation support, construction, transportation, equipment leasing, special studies and analyses, information technology and professional, management and administrative support. However, the Forest Service, as with other federal agencies,  are under strict guidance of how we can or cannot work with you.  Here’s how to get started:

Commercial permits

Each year, the Forest Service receives thousands of individual and business applications for authorization for use of public land we manage. The agency’s special-use program, which follows agency policy and federal law, allows uses of those lands that provide a benefit to the general public and protect public and natural resources values. Contact your local forest or grassland where you want to use the permit for more information.

Smokey Bear Licensing

The USDA Forest Service is responsible for managing the commercial licensing program and use of Smokey Bear. Day-to-day administration is handled by a contracted licensing agency. The licensing agency provides professional services that meet the Program's commercial licensing and marketing objectives. Licensing is required for any use that generates any revenue as a result of the image and likeness of Smokey Bear. Licensing may be for a term of years or for a one-time use, depending on the product and use of the Smokey Bear image.