Choose from the following to find a site:
Follow the links listed below to view trail maps for the Lake Tahoe Basin. When hiking, a topographic map and compass are highly recommended because cellular service may not be available in some areas. Forest maps are always helpful and are available for purchase from our office or online.
Weather conditions in the mountains can change rapidly. Be prepared with the appropriate clothing, footwear and equipment, no matter how short the hike. Bring water and food to prevent dehydration and exhaustion. If you bring your pet on the trail, put it on a leash to minimize its impact on wildlife and other visitors. Observe common courtesy, follow trail regulations and always clean up after your pet and properly dispose of waste bags.
Permits are required for visits to Desolation Wilderness. Daytime-use permits may be self-issued at most trailheads. Overnight permits require a fee and may be purchased online.
Other Trail Resources
Recreational Opportunity Guides (ROGS)
- Hiking Trails: South Shore
(PDF 485 KB)
- Hiking Trails: West Shore
(PDF 640 KB)
- Hiking Trails: South and West Shores
(PDF 398 KB)
- Hiking Trails: North and East Shore
(PDF 387 KB)
Campfires & Fire Restrictions
- National Forest System lands in the Lake Tahoe Basin are under year-round fire restrictions. This means wood and charcoal fires are only permitted within metal fire rings in developed campgrounds, such as Fallen Leaf or Nevada Beach. Read the Forest Order
- Campfires and charcoal are never permitted in Desolation Wilderness or Meiss Country; along the Pacific Crest or Tahoe Rim trails; on National Forest roads, trails or trailheads; in rock fire rings; on National Forest beaches; or in the general forest.
- Propane appliances with an on/off valve are allowed with a valid California Campfire Permit as long as seasonal fire restrictions are not in effect.
- Seasonal fire restrictions can go into effect during periods of increased fire danger. This means wood and charcoal fires and propane appliances may be restricted.