OHV Riding & Camping

Choose from the following to find a site:


Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) riding is a great way to enjoy your national forest.  But to do it right and prevent natural resource damage,  OHV riders need to stay on designated roads and/or approved trail systems like those found at Chadwick and Sutton Bluff OHV Areas.

For the purposes of riding on Mark Twain National Forest, the term OHV includes: ATVs (all-terrain vehicles, also known as four-wheelers); UTVs, (utility type vehicles, sometimes called side-by-sides); and off-road motorcycles (aka dirt bikes).

Please note: Vehicles must have appropriate muffler system and a Forest Service approved spark arrester.

Riding Off-trail, why is this important? 

Once one person rides cross-country, they have made the first pass of a user-created trail.  If someone else follows, then another, and another, soon this user-made trail looks like a regular trail and will continue to attract riders.  User created trails create resource damage, including increased soil erosion, soil compaction, and negative impacts to stream channels and aquatic organisms (if traveling through streams and creeks).

In areas where illegal use caused severe resource damage, Agency personnel may have to consider closures.  Respected access to the country’s public lands ensures continued access. 

What Trails are There?

Chadwick ATV, UTV, and Motorcycle Riding Area in Christian County, and Sutton Bluff ATV, UTV, and Motorcycle Riding Area in Reynolds County (near the Sutton Bluff Campground) are the only designated OHV trail systems on Mark Twain National Forest. 

These trails were created under the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act, which authorizes collection and retention of fees for specialized trail systems to improve maintenance and better serve the customers.

Do I need a Trail Permit?

Yes. Anyone riding an ATV, UTV, motorcycle, or mountain bike on these trails is required to purchase and display a current Mark Twain National Forest annual ATV/UTV/motorcycle or mountain bike sticker or daily use tag. Visit the Passes and Permits page for information on prices and where to purchase. 

Riding the Roads

The Mark Twain National Forest allows OHVs on open and numbered Forest Service Roads, in compliance with state and county laws. Please do your part to take care of the Forest by staying on the road and not riding cross country! 

For Printable Brochure about ATV, UTV, and Motorcycle Rules and Regulations within the National Forest.

You may ride on these Forest Service roads in counties where ATV or UTV county permits are issued, providing you abide by Missouri State motor vehicle regulations (MSMVR). Use the Mark Twain National Forest’s Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) to ensure you are riding on designated routes.  Remember, these roads are also open to highway legal vehicles and visitors should share the road.  MVUMs can be accessed through the Avenza app as well, and used to track where you are in real-time on the map. 

Recreation Areas

Recreation Activities