OHV Riding & Camping

Choose from the following to find a site:


All motorized travel on Nebraska National Forests and Grasslands is restricted to designated roads or trails and these routes are officially designated “open” or “closed” for motorized travel on the Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM).  MVUMs are the primary tool to determine where you can drive on the forests and grasslands. 

You are responsible for using the MVUMs to stay on designated routes for motor vehicle use. Routes not shown on the MVUM are not open to public motor vehicle travel. Designated routes identified on the maps may not always be signed on the ground.

Big game retrieval and dispersed camping is allowed within 300 feet of most roads and trails that are designated open. Cross-country or off-road use is prohibited. The only exceptions are if an area is designated as open, or it is officially allowed by permit.

Motor Vehicle Use Maps:

  • show routes, roads or trails as either open or closed
  • show allowed uses by vehicle class (i.e. highway-legal vehicles, vehicles less than 50 inches wide and motorcycles), seasonal allowances, distance allowances
  • provide information on other travel rules and regulations. 
  • are for legal designations to guide travel with various motorized vehicles. They have no topographic features and are best used with a Forest Visitor Map or other detailed map. 
  • are updated annually to assure optimal travel decisions.

Recreation Areas

Recreation Activities