Wilderness Permits


Leave No Trace Brochure (pdf 40k)

  • Plan ahead and prepare.
  • Travel and camp on durable surfaces.
  • Dispose of waste properly.
  • Leave what you find.
  • Minimize campfire impacts.
  • Respect wildlife.
  • Be considerate.
  • Pack animal considerations.

Provided by:
Swirling logo for Leave No Trace at lnt.org



Wilderness permits are required only for overnight stay in the Golden Trout Wilderness on the Sequoia National Forest. Permits help the Forest Service to manage wilderness by tracking visitor use patterns. In some areas visitor quotas and trailhead quotas are in effect to protect the wildernesses from visitor impact and overuse. Wilderness permits are issued to anyone who will follow certain rules intended to protect both the visitor and the wilderness resource.

Do I need a Wilderness permit?

The Golden Trout Wilderness is the only wilderness in the Sequoia National Forest that requires a permit for overnight stays. Permits are not required for day use in any wilderness within Sequoia National Forest.

How much do Wilderness permits cost?

Wilderness permits are free on the Sequoia National Forest.

2021 Golden Trout Wilderness Permits - Under current circumstances with COVID-19, the Sequoia National Forest will offer wilderness permits virtually through our website.

Until conditions improve, access for trails into the Golden Trout Wilderness will be limited to the Blackrock Trailhead or trailheads in neighboring Sequoia National Park and Inyo National Forest.  The North Road (FS21S50) and the Lloyd Meadow Road (FS22S82) north of Dry Meadow Road (22S53) will remain closed, possibly through summer 2021.  This closure is due to severely burned areas from the Castle Fire resulting in hazards to travelers on foot, horseback, or in vehicles. Wilderness permits for travel from Blackrock Trailhead can be obtained on the Sequoia National Forest through the following process.

  1. Print and completely fill out the Application for a Wilderness Visitor's Permit 

  2. Scan and email your completed application to the Sequoia National Forest to SM.FS.SequoiaNF@usda.gov  (monitored Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.)

  3. Within a week, you will receive a response to your email, confirming receipt of your application. Your hard copy application will then take the place of your permit for overnight stay in the Golden Trout Wilderness on the Sequoia National Forest. 

    Keep a copy with you and share the information with someone at home to anticipate your safe return. The Forest Service will keep an electronic copy of your application on file in case of emergency and for our records. It is your responsibility to monitor conditions and fire restrictions and provide for your own safety. Current road conditions and fire restrictions will be posted on this website throughout the summer.

Both Sequoia National Park and Inyo National Forest will be issuing wilderness permits through  www.recreation.gov  the same reservation system used by most federal agencies for visitors to obtain campground reservations.

In Sequoia National Park, reservations for wilderness permits can be made for trip dates beginning up to 6 months in advance and will continue to be reservable up to 1 week prior to the start of the trip. A limited number of first-come, first-served permits will be available daily at select permit issuing stations in Cedar Grove, Grant Grove, Lodgepole, the Foothills, and Mineral King. For additional information, please visit https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/wilderness_permits.htm

Inyo National Forest Wilderness permits are available on recreation.gov. On their home page search "Inyo National Forest - Wilderness Permits" to find a list of trails, or search "Mt Whitney" to find Mt Whitney Trail day-use and overnight-use permits. For more information, call Inyo National Forest (760) 873-2483 Open daily 8 am to 4:30 pm. (closed for lunch) May 15 through Oct 15. During winter months, closed on weekends and holidays. https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/inyo/passes-permits/recreation


In areas where campfires are allowed, you will need a valid Campfire Permit during the fire season when fire and stove use may be restricted. It is your responsibility to check on the current regulations at any Forest Service office or National Park office.

Please go to http://www.preventwildfireca.org/ to get your California Campfire Permit.