Passes & Permits

Rafting Main Payette River near Banks


Before you plan an activity on the Boise Forest, please be sure to check whether you will need a permit, river pass or interagency pass.


Recreation Fee Program

As more and more people recreate on national forests and grasslands every year. Meeting the increasing needs of these visitors, delivering quality recreation, heritage and wilderness opportunities, and protecting natural resources continues to be very challenging. To help address this issue, President Bush signed the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (REA). The Act permits federal land management agencies to continue charging modest fees at campgrounds, rental cabins, high-impact recreation areas and at day-use sites that have certain facilities. 

Common activities that may require a permit or pass may include wood cutting, harvesting a Christmas tree, picking mushrooms or parking within the Payette River System. Check for offices and vendors that are open.  

The Interagency Visitor Center in Boise at 208-373-4100 can provide specific information for every type of adventure!  Fees that are charged make a difference. 




Obtain permits and information from Boise, Payette or Sawtooth Forest offices. Some of the Vendors and may offer fuelwood permits and Christmas tree permits during the season. Inquire at the local Forest Service offices for specific information regarding mushroom permits.

The Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) are available only at Forest Service Offices.


Kayakers at Deer  Creek Stairs and Ramp


Annual Payette River System Pass

Payette River Seasonal Passes can be purcased for $20 per vehicle by visiting   

Payette River Day Passes can be purchased on site with cash or check for $3 per vehicle or by visitng




photo of stacked wood showing a cord


Fuelwood Permits

Sales Adjusted due to safety issues with COVID-19. Permits are sold from May 15, 2022 - thru November 30, 2022.



Photo of getting a Christmas Tree - Payette


Christmas Tree Permits



Photo of a Morel Mushroom



Mushroom Permits



Photo of a single skiier in trees


Park N'Ski Permits

The annual and three day parking permits are a cornerstone of the Nordic program. Revenues from the sale of permits go toward trail improvements, plowing parking lots and grooming trails.  For more information




2021 Photo of passes


Interagency Passes and maps can be ordered through the USGS Store

Detailed information print out - America The Beautiful Brochure

Annual Pass -You must apply for these passports in person at a

Forest Service Office and bring proof of age.

Senior Pass  - You must apply for these passports in person at a

Forest Service Office and bring proof of age.

Access Pass - You must apply for these passports in person at a

Forest Service Office and bring proof of blindness or permanent disability.

Military Pass - Good for free DAY USE ONLY - not camping. 

(Stated on the back of the card.)