Passes & Permits


The Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest manages many resources with the objective of caring for the land and serving people. Management protects natural resource values, public health and safety, and is consistent with the Forest land and resource management goals outlined in the Forest Plan. In order to meet these objectives, permits may be required for the occupancy and use of Forest Service land or resources.

The first step in applying for a permit is to contact the local Ranger District Office on which you need a permit. They will help determine if your request can be permitted and help you through the process. Our national website provides additional information about the special use program, regulations and laws, and the application process.

Types of Passes and Permits

Recreation Passes and Permits for Recreational Events:

See the Recreation Passes and Permits page for details about these and other types of passes and permits.

  • Trail Permits for ATV, OHV, Horse, and mountain bike use
  • Outfitter/Guide Commercial Permits
  • Reservations may be required in some campgrounds. Reservations can be made online or call 1-877-444-6777 (toll free).

Permits for Forest Products:

  • All forest products (any plant, animal, or mineral) require a permit for removal, unless specifically exempted.
  • Plant collection permits are required for digging plants, including ginseng harvesting
  • Permits are required for collecting edible material, decorative material, etc if used for commercial purposes
  • Woody material, such as Firewood. We do not issue permits for Christmas trees.

Permits for Group Events and Commercial Activities in the national forest:


  • Permits for other items such as electrical easements, utility lines
  • Private roads across national forest land

Visit the Special Uses page on the Forest Service national site for additional information about permits for special uses of national forest land and resources.