Passes & Permits

4th Grade pass

Recreation Passes and Permits - Some Forest Service recreation sites in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area require a day use fee. This section includes information about where fees are charged and which passes may be used to cover these fees.

Fisherman casting a line in the river

Outfitting and Guiding Services - A special use permit is required to conduct outfitting or guiding activities on National Forest System land in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area or on the Klickitat and White Salmon Wild and Scenic Rivers. Find the definition of these activites, information on how to apply for a permit, and a list of our current guides.

People running on a rocky forest trail

Recreation Events - A recreation event permit is required for any event where an entry or participation fee is charged, or where paid membership in a group or organization is a prerequisite for participation. 

Crew filming a commercial on the Eagle Creek Trail.  Filming is only allowed M-R in peak season.

Commercial Filming and Still Photography - Like other commercial uses of National Forest lands and resources, commercial filming requires a special use permit issued by the Area Manager.

Vista House overlooking the Columbia River Gorge

Noncommercial Group Use - Any event that involves more than 75 people and/or infrastructure (tents, chairs, watering stations, etc.) requires a special use permit. This can include weddings, reunions, and other gatherings that do not charge participants.

Horsetail Falls viewing plaza and rockwork on rainy day

Memorials, Plaques, Commemorative Monuments and Ashes – Learn guidelines, prohibitions, and alternatives for memorials on National Forest System lands in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. 

A path through a dry grass and scrub landscape.

Forest Products Permits - Collection of forest products such as include edible or decorative materials (i.e. Christmas trees), plants, and firewood is currently prohibited in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. Find out where you can go.

Joe Hannon and Bill Schneider with the National Weather Service, Portland, OR.

Other permits - Learn about other types of activities that may require special permits on National Forest Lands and how to start requesting one.