Recreation Passes & Permits

Some Forest Service sites in the Columbia River Gorge require that visitors pay a fee or display a valid pass to maintain or enhance the site's amenities. View a list of recreation sites managed by the Forest Service that require a fee within Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area . 

Are there any Free Days? Fees are waived at Forest Service-managed day use sites to celebrate specific events.

Question Mark with Question textWhat types of recreation passes are available and how do I decide?

Northwest Forest Passes (Oregon & Washington)

  • Day Pass

    [IMAGE: Day ePass and National Forest Recreation Day Pass]

    Day use pass honored at all Forest Service operated recreation sites in Washington and Oregon where a day use fee is required.

    Buy ePass - (Print at home. *Must be printed within 2 days of purchase.)  

  • Annual Pass

    [IMAGE: Annual Northwest Forest Pass.  Click for More Information on Annual Northwest Forest Pass]

    ($30) - Annual pass honored at all Forest Service operated recreation sites in Washington and Oregon where a day use fee is required.

Local Passes & Reservations

  • Digital Recreation Day Pass

    A placeholder image

    Enjoy the convenience of buying a Digital Recreation Day Pass at for Forest Service fee sites in the Scenic Area. You can easily download your digital pass on your phone or tablet, no printing is required.

  • Multnomah Falls Timed Reservation Tickets

    A placeholder image

    Seasonal reservation ticket for day-use of the site during busy season. Timed reservation tickets required May-September only.

  • Dog Mountain Hiking Permit

    A placeholder image

    Seasonal permit that is required on weekends & Memorial Day during peak wildflower season for each individual using the Dog Mountain Trail System.

Interagency Passes

Locations to Buy Passes from Local Vendors

Buy a Pass from a Local Vendor

Screenshot of a map of Oregon adn Washington with blue dots showing where vendors are lcoated.

If you'd prefer buying a recreation pass in person, we've got you covered! Here are over 100 locations in Oregon and Washington where you can pick up a pass.


More Information about Recreation Fees

Where does the money go? Recreation fee revenues make a difference.

How can I get involved? The Pacific Northwest Recreation Resource Advisory Committee provides recommendations concerning recreation fees.

Recreation Special Use Permits

The Forest Service may require recreation permits when extra measures are needed to protect natural or cultural resources, to restrict the number of people participating in the activity at any one time, to provide extra safety or other specialized services. These permits may be issued to individuals as “Special Recreation Permits.” 

  • No “Special Recreation Permits” are currently required at National Scenic Area sites. 
  • Organized recreational events (such as competitive races, fund raisers, club activities, weddings, and family reunions) and commercial activities conducted on National Forest System lands do often require a Special Use Permit