Passes & Permits

Recreation Passes & Permits

Recreation PassesLocal Passes and Permits related to recreating on the forest. These include wilderness permits, campfire permits, cabin rental permits, annual day passes, sno-park permits, and National Interagency Passes.

Forest Product Permits

Forest productsCollecting and removing forest products requires a permit. Forest products include items; such as, firewood, christmas trees, edible material, decorative material, minerals, plants, and other woody material.

Event or Commercial Special Use Permits

Special Use PermitsCertain types of uses of public lands require "Special Use Authorizations". These include commercial activities, such as filming, guiding, and events.

Campfire Permits

CampfireA campfire permit is required for campfire use, except when camping in a developed campground. Check for fire restrictions before your trip.

Wilderness Permits

WildernessDesolation and Mokelumne Wilderness are two of the many beautiful ares of public land designated by Congress to be as free as possible from the impact of human use. Travel is by foot or horseback as no vehicles are allowed in these areas.

Other Special Use Permits 

Film PermitNon-commercial uses may also require Special Use Authorizations, including research, large group use, recreation organized events and gatherings, Recreation Residence permits, road use permits, easements, etc.


Fee-Free Days

The Forest Service waives recreation fees at most day-use sites on lands managed by the agency. Participation by concession-operated sites may vary. The 2020 dates are: