Recreation Passes & Permits

A poster at a campground lists camp fees and how they are used.

Most National Forest System lands are open and free of charge for your use and enjoyment; however, user fees may be charged at some areas under the provisions of the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act, established by Congress to replace the former Fee Demo Program.

Use fees for federal lands are not only used for conserving our nation's land, wildlife, waterways and historical sites, but are used to develop, maintain and improve visitor services and recreation opportunities. Almost all the proceeds from forest fees and passes stay on your National Forest and are used for improving your experience


Green Mountain National Forest Recreation Fees

At present, day use passes passes are only required at the Hapgood Pond Recreation Area. Camping gound fees most developed campgrounds on the forest and additional reservations fees may be applied to reserving campsites and pavillions at Hapgood Pond. Find out more.

Recreation Fees on Finger Lakes National Forest

There are no day-use fees or trail permit fees collected on the Finger Lakes National Forest. Overnight camping fees are charged. See more information on camping fees at site-specific campground pages. 


Federal Interagency Passes

The annual America the Beautiful Pass graphic

Find out federal interagency recreation passes apply on the Green Mountain and Finger Lakes National Forests.