Recreation Passes & Permits

While much of the forest is open to the public free of charge, some places pass for entry or a permit for a specific trail use (horseback or mountain bike riding).

Daily entry passes are required at some developed campgrounds and recreation areas on the Hoosier National Forest. Many trails and campgrounds do not. To find out if an area requires a pass and what that pass may cost, please see the specific page under our Recreation section for pass details and day-use fees.


Horseback and Mountain Bike Trail Permits

Riding the trails

Trail use permits permits are required for horseback or mountain riding on designated Hoosier National Forest trails as well as use at trailheads or within campgrounds.

Find out more about trail use permits, when they are necessary, and how to obtain one. 

View Feature

Federal Interagency Passes

Image of an Annual America the Beautiful Pass

Several federal agencies have combined their recreation passes into a program known as America the Beautiful – the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass

Find our more about these passes and the discounts they provide for day-use to certain Hoosier National Forest Recreation Areas. 

View Feature