Passes & Permits

Permits are needed for certain activities on the Lincoln National Forest.  Fuelwood, Christmas Trees, Caving, and Special Use Permits for such things as the Enduro Motorcycle Race are required to ensure the safety of the enviroment and the individuals participating in the event.




Permits are required to enter any and all caves on the Lincoln National Forest.

Please visit the Recreation Passes & Permits page for more information (link found on left side of this page)




Fuel Wood Permits

Gathering of forest products has long been a tradition on National Forest lands. Native Americans and early settlers were dependent upon the products that are now found on the Lincoln National Forest for their livelihood. Today, it is enjoyed mostly as a recreation activity, generally partaken with other outdoor activities.

Please visit our Forest Products & Permits page (link found on left side of this page)




Christmas Tree Permits

Christmas Tree Permits may be purchased for $10.00 from November 13 through December 21, 2018 at the Alamogordo Supervisor’s Office, Smokey Bear Ranger District Office in Ruidoso, Sacramento Ranger District Office in Cloudcroft, and Guadalupe Ranger District Office in Carlsbad.

Please visit our Other Permits page (link found on left side of this page)




Special Use Permits

The Forest Service manages over 192 million acres of National Forests and Grasslands that comprise the National Forest system (NFS).  Today, our growing population and mobile society have created a demand for a variety of uses of these federal lands.  Often these diverse needs require specific approval.  The Forest Service provides services that support our national policy and federal land laws.  The Agency’s special-uses program authorizes uses on NFS land that provide a benefit to the general public and protect public and natural resources values.

Please visit our Event/Commercial Permits (link found on left side of this page)