Forest Products Permits
Firewood Collection Information
Dead and Down Wood
- Some areas have stacked piles ready for you, others you will have to gather to cut.
- Once a permit is purchased, you may gather wood from any of the dead/down areas throughout the Forest.
- On the Guadalupe Ranger District, you may gather dead/down material off of every USFS open road on USFS lands.
Green Standing Wood
You are limited to green/standing areas only, except on the Guadalupe Ranger District, where you may cut off of any USFS open road up to 50 feet from the road.
Firewood Cutting Tips
- Be sure you understand your permit.
- Never cut alone.
- Scatter branches and other debris.
- Cut in only designated or specified areas.
- Help keep your forests clean, PACK TRASH OUT.
- Leave gates as you found them.
- Do not drive off the road if the ground is soft or wet.
- Always carry your permit with you.
- You are limited to green/standing areas only, except on the Guadalupe Ranger District, where you may cut off of any USFS open road up to 50 feet from the road.
Other Forest Products
In addition to firewood, there are a variety of other products that can be gathered on the Lincoln National Forest. Please check with your local district office for information on permits for items like mistletoe, pine nuts and latillas.