Maps & Publications

The US Forest Service provides several types of publications and maps to the public. The material is available in many forms: brochures, maps, Recreational Opportunity Guides (ROGs), on such subjects as recreation, sightseeing, wilderness, travel management, and vegetation.

Forest Maps

Lake Tahoe Basin Map cover.The Forest Service publishes a variety of map products to help you plan your next adventure or enjoy your next visit!

For example:

In general, forest visitor and other kinds of maps may also be purchased at most Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit offices.

Motorized Vehicle Use Maps

The Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) display National Forest System routes (roads and trails) or areas designated open to motorized travel. The Motor Vehicle Use Maps also displays uses allowed by vehicle class (highway-legal vehicles, vehicles less than 50 inches wide and motorcycles), and seasonal allowances. Follow the links below to download PDF versions of the MVUMs or visit the Forest Supervisor's Office, the Taylor Creek Visitor Center, or the Incline Village Forest Service office to obtain paper copies of the map, free of charge.

The Forest Supervisor's Office is at 35 College Drive, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150, (530) 543-2600, and is open year-round, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. The Taylor Creek Visitor Center is located on Highway 89 approximately three miles northwest of South Lake Tahoe, (530) 543-2674, and is open Memorial Day weekend through October.  The Incline Village Forest Service office is at 855 Alder Drive, Incline Village, NV, (775) 831-0914, and is open year-round, Wednesday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.

North Shore

  • PDF (1,239 KB)

South Shore

  • PDF (1,472 KB)

Forest Publications

Our publications fall into a few broad categories: administrative, general, recreation and research publications. Select the "Forest Publications" link for guides and reports.