Passes & Permits

Big Piney River at Slabtown located on the Rolla Ranger District

Before you plan an activity on the Forest, please be sure to check whether or not you need a permit or pass. 

Common activities that may require a permit include wood cutting, mushroom picking, rock collecting, cutting a Christmas tree, riding an ATV or Motorcycle on designated trails, or holding a recreation event. Some of the types of permits are,

Recreational - While most of the forest provides opportunities for free recreation activities, some areas, facilities, and activities have a fee associated with them to help maintain, manage, and improve the amenities that you enjoy. On this forest, fees are charged for camping at most of our developed sites that provide tables, grills, lantern posts, toilets, garbage service, or other conveniences, day use areas that have some of these same features or services, and for use of the two motorized trail systems, (Chadwick and Sutton Bluff). Visit the national Recreation Fees and Passes Web Site for information about where fees and passes exist and the variety of pass options available to you, or choose a specific pass option from the listing on the right. (more)

Special Use - Special Uses support our national policy and federal land laws by authorizing land uses on National Forest System (NFS) land. A special-use authorization is a legal document such as a permit, term permit, lease, or easement, which allows occupancy, use, rights, or privileges of NFS land. The authorization is granted for a specific land use for a specific period of time. A special use authorization is needed If an activity on NFS land involves individuals or organization with 75 or more participants or spectators; for occupying, using, or building on NFS land for personal or business purposes, whether the duration is temporary or long term; or if a fee being charged or if income is derived from the use. Contact the Forest Service District Ranger’s office to discuss your proposal or to request an application.

Contact the Ranger District Office or the Supervisor's Office for verbal information.