Passes & Permits

Most national forests and grasslands are open, free of charge, for your use and enjoyment. Fees may be charged and permits required for some activities and locations. Business permitees, such as campground concessionaires and outfitter guides, may provide services to public land users with proper permits.

Graphic: Image of bighorn sheep crossing a river on front of recreation pass.

Recreation Passes

Nebraska National Forest does not have a general entrance fee. There are fees for most camping areas. The forest honors Senior & Access Passes at all fee campgrounds.

Truck with cut trees in truckbed

Forest Product Permits

Prior to removing forest products for personal use from National Forest System lands, visitors are required to purchase a permit such as a Christmas tree or firewood permit.

Runners take off at the start of the annual Scott Trot.


Permits may be required for certain special activities, such as large groups, educational activities, or film-making.  
In wilderness, around wildlife and wildfires are not places to fly drones

UAS Policy

Individuals and organizations that fly UAS for hobby or recreational purposes may not operate them in areas of National Forest System lands that have Temporary Flight Restrictions in place, such as wildfires, without prior approval from the U.S. Forest Service.