Recreation Passes & Permits

Pay StationThe National Forests in North Carolina offers activities such as hiking, biking and camping to name a few. Many of the facilities and services associated with these opportunities are free. Some do require fees or permits to help maintain, manage and improve the amenities that you enjoy. 


Recreation Fees

Recreation fees vary by site and type across the national forests. Payment is collected on site. Seasonal and/or annual recreation passes are available for some sites.  These include Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) Areas/Trails, Rivers, Mountain Bike Trails, and Rifle Ranges. Please contact the appropriate Forest Service District office to inquire about these passes.

more >> >>

Recreation Passes

There are a number of different types of recreation passes available. To make the best choice on which recreational pass or permit to purchase, you should first think about your recreation plans.

  • Are you visiting for one day, two days or more?
  • Are you a frequent visitor?
  • What recreation opportunities are you interested in?
  • Do you recreate on other federal lands such as in a National Park?

The answers to these questions will help you identify which type of pass or permit is right for you.

more >> >>

Interagency Passes

There are six types of Interagency Passes, honored by the National Park Service, Forest Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, and Bureau of Reclamation. Learn how to obtain these passes: 

Which Pass Do I Need?

Important Note:

Golden Access and Golden Age Passports are no longer sold. However, these passes will continue to be honored to the provisions of the pass. The Corps of Engineers and Tennessee Valley Authority honor the Interagency Senior and Interagency Access lifetime passes only.


New Vendor Sells Shooting Range Passes

The U.S. Forest Service announced that Loafers Glory Gas Station has been added to the list of vendors now selling daily and season permits to use the Dirty John Shooting Range...