Event/Commercial Permits

Special Use Permits (Recreational and Commercial)

The Special Uses program on the Olympic National Forest encompasses a variety of uses including: communication sites, water transmission lines, recreation events, apiaries, outfitter guides, summer homes, filming, research studies and many more. Over 200 special uses are currently authorized under permits, easements and leases that legally allow specific activities, uses and occupancies on National Forest lands.

You may need a special use permit if:

  • you will need to occupy, use, or build on National Forest land for personal or business purposes, whether the duration is temporary or long-term;
  • if there is a fee being charged or if income is derived from the use;
  • if an activity on National Forest land involves individuals or organizations with 75 or more participants or spectators.

Individuals who are unsure about the need for a special use authorization for a planned use, should contact the Forest District office that manages the specific area to get more information and begin the application process if needed.  Special use proposals will be evaluated for compliance with existing laws, regulations and the Forest Plan, and to determine the benefit to the public and the potential impact to the natural resources.

For more information, or to get an application (SF 299), you may visit our joint Forest Service/BLM Special Uses web site.