Passes & Permits

  • National Recreation Passes

    A placeholder image

    The Interagency Passes are honored nationwide at all Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and US Fish & Wildlife Service sites charging entrance or standard amenity fees.

  • Forest Product Permits

    A placeholder image

    Collecting and removing forest products requires a permit. Forest products include items such as, firewood, christmas trees, edible material, decorative material, minerals, plants, and other woody material.

  • Campfire Permits

    A placeholder image

    Campfire Permits are required for the use of campfires, charcoal fires or portable gas stoves outside of designated recreation sites. These are free and are available at all Forest Service, BLM, or CAL FIRE offices, or online (printer required). Remember to check for fire restrictions before you go!

  • Christmas Tree Permits

    A placeholder image

    Christmas trees permits may be purchased from November 1st through December 24th although ice and snow may close roads at any time. Trees may be cut through December 31st.

  • Firewood Permits

    A placeholder image

    The Plumas National Forest has a longstanding policy of allowing personal and commercial use firewood cutting and gathering from national forest lands.

  • Special Use Permits

    A placeholder image

    Certain types of uses of public lands require "Special Use Authorizations." These include commercial activities, such as filming, guiding, and events.

Fee-Free Days

The Forest Service waives recreation fees at most day-use sites on lands managed by the agency. Participation by concession-operated sites may vary. The 2022 dates are:

  • Martin Luther King, Jr. Day: Jan. 17, 2022
  • President's Day: Feb. 21, 2022
  • National Get Outdoors Day : June 11, 2022
  • National Public Lands Day : Sept. 24, 2022
  • Veterans Day: Nov. 11, 2022