Passes & Permits


Mushroom Harvesting

In 2022 several national forests in the Northern Region are offering commercial mushroom picking permits, and individual forests issue personal use permits for mushroom collection. Visit our Mushroom Harvesting page to learn more about picking in the Northern Region and to explore our Mushroom Hunter Helper app which identifies areas of past wildfires and prescribed burns to help you identify where mushrooms might be fruiting!

Firewood Cutting Permits

Firewood permits may be purchased at your local Forest Service Office. Firewood permits remain free for cutting in Northern Region National Forests through December 31, 2022, but you must obtain a free permit and abide by it when cutting. After December  31, 2022 please contact your local Forest Service office for cost and permit information.

Christmas Tree Permits

Christmas Tree Permits can be obtained at, usually starting mid-November through January 1. It is important to carefully read the overview and need-to-know information prior to purchasing the permit. Visitors will also need to set up or login to a account to purchase their permit, and a small transaction fee is charged in addition to the permit fee. Check with your local Forest Service Office for additional purchasing options. Forth graders across the nation who enroll in Every Kid Outdoors may be able to get a free Christmas tree permit. Contact your local office for more information.

Other Permits and Authorizations

Commercial Filming Permits

National Forests and Grasslands around the country can provide an excellent backdrop for a filmmaker seeking a natural setting for their film or television production. The Northern Region of the Forest Service asks that anyone interested in producing a film for anything other than personal use to first contact the Forest Service at least two weeks in advance of the anticipated filming.

Permits are generally not required for covering late breaking news, such as a wildfire or search and rescue operations. Still photography typically does not require a permit from the Forest Service, as long as that photography doesn’t use models, sets or props or takes place at a location that requires additional administration.

Directives for Commercial Filming and Still Photography

Special Use Permits

Special Use Permits provide services supporting our national policy and federal land laws by authorizing uses on National Forest System (NFS) lands.

Learn more: