Maps & Publications
Forest Visitor Maps
The Forest Service in South Carolina sells a variety of maps to help the public determine the general location of roads, trails and other recreation sites on the Francis Marion and Sumter National Forests. Each of the four ranger districts (Francis Marion, Long Cane, Andrew Pickens and Enoree) sells a map of its own unit. The Andrew Pickens also offers three other maps: a district trail guide, a Wild and Scenic Chattooga River map, and a guide to the Ellicott Rock Wilderness. All maps and guides are available for purchase at the supervisor’s office in Columbia.
Maps can be purchased by credit card, check or cash at the district offices and at the forest supervisor’s office during regular business hours Monday through Friday. Offices are generally open 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and closed weekends and federal holidays. Some offices may also close during lunch. Please be sure to call the specific district or supervisor’s office before going to purchase a map to ensure its availability, and that someone will be available to help you. Checks should be made out to the USDA Forest Service. If you are making a cash purchase, exact change is always appreciated.
Prefer to order online? You can order forest maps from all over the country directly from the US Geological Survey Store:
- Francis Marion National Forest ($14)
- Sumter National Forest, Enoree and Long Cane Ranger Districts ($14)
- Sumter National Forest, Andrew Pickens Ranger District ($14)
- Chattooga National Wild and Scenic River ($12)
- Ellicott Rock Wilderness ($8)
National Forest maps are also available through Avenza Maps.
Are you looking for a topographic map for one of our national forests? Did you know that you can download free topo maps that cover U.S. Forest Service lands through the FSTopo Map website? Just zoom and click on the area that you are interested in! Get your free topo maps here: https://data.fs.usda.gov/geodata/rastergateway/states-regions/states.php
Motor visitor use maps (MVUMs) show the National Forest System roads, National Forest System trails, and the areas on National Forest System lands in the Francis Marion and Sumter National Forests that are designated for motor vehicle use.
Alerts & Warnings
- Bridge closure on FS road 305 on Enoree Ranger District
- New digital payment options and online reservations at Enoree recreation sites
- Seasonal recreation area closures
- Halfway Creek Trailhead closure
- Damaged bridges along the Enoree Passage of Palmetto Trail; exercise caution
- Please be aware of open well hazards on Sumter National Forest