Passes & Permits

Some activities on national forest lands require special permits or for visitors to following specific guidelines.  Please visit one of the pages highlighted below for more information on what is required for the activity you wish to do on national forest land.

Helpful quick links and other brochures can be found on the right-hand side of this page.


America the Beautiful Passes

sunset photo with ATB text over photo

All the Federal Recreational Lands Passes are available at our offices. Learn about the different passes available to you and what to bring with you when obtaining your pass.

Forest Products Permits

people collecting data in the woods

Forest Products include such things as: Firewood permits, Christmas Tree permits, collecting berries, mushrooms, etc.

Find out what is allowed and what is available through permits.


Events, Commercial Use, Filming Permits

group of runners running on a dirt path in the woods

Special use permits are required for large events, commercial use, guiding services and even filming.  Learn more about this permit process and how to apply for a permit.

Research Permits and Other Uses

people collecting data in the woods

How to obtain a permit to conduct research on the Forest. Also guidelines for using metal detectors, drone use, panning for gold, etc.