Passes & Permits

Man taking a picture of a bear


Do you need a Permit? Maybe...

Before you plan an activity on the Forest, please be sure to check whether or not you need a permit or pass. Common activities that will need these include wood cutting, commercial mushroom picking (personal use does not require a permit), and cutting a Christmas tree.

Special Use Permits

Special use authorizations provide use of National Forest System lands for a wide variety of activities. Authorizations are issued to commercial and noncommercial operations which provide use of and access to these lands.  General information about special use permits may be found at the Regional Special Uses-Applying for a Permit page.

Recreation Fees and Passes

You can purchase or qualify for an Interagency Pass which allows access or discounts at many Federal recreation facilities; such as visitor centers, or campgrounds at the Regional Recreation Fees and Passes page.

Cabin Reservations

To view the selection of cabins on the Tongass National Forest please visit our Camping & Cabins pages.

For cabin reservations visit the National Reservation Site at