Grants have been awarded. See the 2018 Wood Innovations Funding Opportunities successful applicants.
Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) Number is 10.674
CFDA Title is Wood Utilization Assistance
October 18, 2017 Issuance of Request for Proposals
January 22, 2018 Proposal submission deadline
April 15, 2018 Approximate date for the U.S. Forest Service to notify applicants of results
July 1, 2018 Approximate date of award
Synopsis of Funding Opportunity:
The U.S. Forest Service requests proposals to substantially expand and accelerate wood energy and wood products markets throughout the United States to support forest management needs on National Forest System and other forest lands.
This Request for Proposals focuses on the following priorities to:
• Reduce hazardous fuels and improve forest health on National Forest System and other forest lands.
• Reduce costs of forest management on all land types.
• Promote economic and environmental health of communities.
Funding will be awarded to two separate categories outlined as follows.
GRANT CATEGORY 1: EXPANSION OF WOOD ENERGY MARKETS
The intent of this category is to:
1. Stimulate, expand, or support wood energy markets that depend on forest residues or forest byproducts generated from all land types.
Projects can include, but are not limited to:
a. Developing a cluster of wood energy projects in a geographic area or specific sector (e.g., prisons, hospitals, universities, manufacturing sector, or industrial sector).
b. Overcoming market barriers and stimulate expansion of wood energy in the commercial sector.
2. Complete requirements, such as engineering designs, cost analyses, and permitting, necessary in the later stages of wood energy project development to secure financing.
GRANT CATEGORY 2: EXPANSION OF WOOD PRODUCTS MARKETS
The intent of this category is to promote markets that create or expand the demand for non-energy based wood products. Preference will be given to projects that support commercial building markets or other markets that use innovative wood products. Wood energy projects will not be considered under this category because those projects can apply for funding under Grant Category 1. Demonstration projects and applied research will be considered, but applicants are strongly encouraged to first consult with their designated Forest Service Regional Biomass Coordinator to determine whether such projects will be competitive.
1. Introduction and Background
2. Requirements and Specifications for a Wood Innovations Application
3. Wood Energy: Projects and Grant Application Process
4. Wood Products Markets: Project and Grant Application Process
2018 Wood Innovations Funding Opportunity Successful Applicants:
2017 Wood Innovations Funding Opportunity Successful Applicants:
2016 Wood Innovations Funding Opportunity Successful Applicants:
2015 Wood Innovations Funding Opportunity Successful Applicants: