National Forests in North Carolina
The Pisgah, Nantahala, Uwharrie, and Croatan National Forests. Hike one of the oldest mountain ranges in the world. Explore the only coastal national forest in the eastern U.S.
Remote wilderness, roadside camping, family friendly campgrounds, and more. To reserve campsites and more in North Carolina visit recreation.gov
Most of the forest is free to recreate in, but some activities may require a permit.
Always have more than one way to navigate.
Hurricane Ridge Fire continues to burn following rain
Release Date: Dec 1, 2022
Rainfall aids firefighters on Hurricane Ridge Fire, 40% contained
Release Date: Nov 30, 2022
Hurricane Ridge Fire grows to 500 acres, 25% contained
Release Date: Nov 29, 2022
Hurricane Ridge Fire burning near Interstate 40 in Pigeon River Gorge
Release Date: Nov 28, 2022
Pisgah National Forest provides 2022 U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree to be lit Nov. 29
Release Date: Nov 28, 2022
Catcuce Micco Tiger from Cherokee, N.C. selected as 2022 Youth Tree Lighter
Release Date: Nov 25, 2022
The National Forests in North Carolina is providing the 2022 U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree.
The Mortimer Trails Project, planned in coordination with local partners, will increase the sustainability of the trail system and add 10 additional miles of mountain biking and hiking trails to the Wilson Creek Area in Caldwell and Avery Counties.
Learn more about the Crossover Project located on the Cheoah and Tusquitee Ranger Districts, Nantahala National Forest.
Buck Project Fact Sheet
Information on the Buck Project on the Nantahala National Forest.
How to find a hike, what to bring, and other considerations.
Mortimer Bridge improves habitat of Thorps Creek
The bridge replaces a low-water ford, which was a barrier to the movement of fish and a recurring public safety hazard during flood events.
Alerts & Warnings
- 12/1 Hurricane Ridge Fire Update- Appalachian RD
- 11/30 Hurricane Ridge Fire Update- Appalachia RD
- 11/29 Appalachian RD- Hurricane Ridge Fire
- Uwharrie RD- Canebrake Horse Camp Temporary Closure
- Grandfather Ranger District Reopens Point Lookout Trail and Schoolhouse Ridge Rd
- Appalachian RD: Black Mountain and Briar Bottom Campground Closures
- Cheoah RD: Fontana Loop Trail TR15, Portions of Bee Cove TR421 Temporarily Close
- Be Bear Aware
- Catawba Falls Trail (TR 225) Closed
- Camping and other restrictions now in effect at Max Patch
- Nantahala RD: Multiple areas under construction
- Appalachian RD: NCDOT construction near Harmon Den may affect Forest access
- Grandfather RD: Old House Gap Rd (FS192) temporarily closed
- Recreate responsibly
- Target Shooting prohibited on Croatan National Forest