Choose from the following to find a site:
Please note that hunting is not permitted in designated campgrounds or developed recreation areas. The Big Game Hunting page linked above lists campgrounds that hunters often use for camping during hunting seasons.
Hunting activities on National Forest land in Virginia are regulated by the Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources (Virginia DWR). For licensing information, visit the DWR License and Access Permit information page. For hunting regulations and detailed game unit information, visit the DWR Public Hunting Lands page.
Information about hunting on National Forest land in West Virginia can be found at West Virginia Department of Natural Resources.
Information about hunting on National Forest land in Kentucky can be found at the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources.
Be aware of shooting regulations within the Forest. Shooting is prohibited within 150 yards of a building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area; or across or on a road or body of water; or in any manner or place where a person or property is exposed to injury or damage. Title 36 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 261.10(d)
Opening and closing of seasonal roads and campgrounds may vary by Ranger District. Disabled hunter access is available on each Ranger District. Please contact the District Office near where you are interested in hunting for more information.
Portable tree stands are permitted as long as they are not affixed and do not cause resource damage - i.e., cutting limbs, placing nails or bolts into trees is prohibited. Tree stands left unoccupied for an extended period of time is also prohibited.
Please respect private property boundaries while hunting on public lands.
Alerts & Warnings
- Effective July 1, 2022, Virginia law permits hunting on Sunday
- Offices on George Washington and Jefferson National Forests Open to the Public
- Bolar Mountain Recreation Area Summer Schedule Delayed
- Bolar Flat Day Use Area at Lake Moomaw Closed for Public Health and Safety
- Grindstone camping limited in 2022
- Temp Closure: Rocky Run ATV trail, Second Mountain, Long Run Road
- Some roads and trails closed in Rockingham County VA and Pendleton County WV