OHV Riding & Camping

Choose from the following to find a site:


Photo of motorcycle ridersOff-Highway Vehicle (OHV) recreation, including ATV and motorcycle use, is just one of the many uses allowed on National Forest lands. It is your responsibility to know and abide by regulations relating to motor vehicle travel. Federal law prohibits operation of any mechanical or motorized equipment within the boundaries of a Wilderness or other special closure areas.

Licensing and registration requirements for ATVs, UTVs, and motorbikes changed in 2009.  Please  visit the Idaho Transportation Department FAQ page for detailed information about the requirements for these vehicles.  Idaho Parks and Recreation also has a web page detailing the requirements.  If you wish to speak to someone about the requirements, call one of these county assessor offices:

  • Bonner County - (208) 265-1440
  • Boundary County - (208) 267-3301
  • Kootenai County - (208) 446-1500

Forest Roads Mixed Use Safety Review

The Idaho Panhandle National Forests have begun a safety review of forest roads and we want to hear from you! Prior to the 2011 summer season the Idaho Panhandle National Forests will be increasing signage, identifying areas where improved visibility is needed, and evaluating the safety of of forest roads that experience significant OHV use, commercial traffic, and passenger vehicles. For more information, including maps of roads being analyzed, visit our "Unlicensed and Underage OHV Operators on National Forest System Roads in Idaho" page.


St. Joe Trail Clearing - July 19, 2019

Recreation Areas

Recreation Activities