Choose from the following to find a site:
Winter Camping in the BWCAW
- Review the BWCAW Trip Planning Guide (p. 11) for winter safety and best practices
- Leave No Trace Principles for Winter Recreation
It is easy to get addicted to winter in Minnesota: despite the cold, or maybe because of it, the season has a majesty all its own and there is no shortage of things to do. From winter camping to snowmobiling, from skiing to dogsledding, there is a lot of fun to be had out there in the snow. And afterwards, a fire and a warm drink. And maybe a sauna and a jump through a hole in the ice into a frozen lake - or maybe not!
Get the most out of your visit by being prepared. Remember you are responsible for your own safety.
Alerts & Warnings
- Flooding impacts BWCAW, Roads and Recreation Across Forest; ATV Trails Closed
- Greenwood Closure Area Updated May 10, 2022
- Closure: Some Trails End Campsites and Nearby Rec Areas
- Border Route Trail Tornado and Current Conditions
- Spring road wt restrictions: St Louis, Lake, Cook County, see Current Conditions
- Sturgeon River Trail Partial Closure