OHV Riding & Camping

OHV Use and Management

Travel Management Plan

Environmental Assessment for Tonto National Forest Motorized Travel Management (2012)

The Proposed Action would impact the current OHV roads and trails on the Tonto National Forest. The EA is available for public comment and can be viewed and downloaded (along with maps and appendices) under the Forest Projects Quick Link.

This USDA Forest Service has many primitive, seldom maintained National Forest System roads that are generally available for OHV use, including ATVs.

With two exceptions, travel off all National Forest System Roads is prohibited.

Campgrounds and other recreation sites are maintained for passenger vehicles and are off limits to ATVs, etc.

In conjunction with Arizona State Parks OHV Program, the Tonto National Forest has established two areas for the dedicated use of OHVs.

For information on Arizona off-highway vehicle use visit the Arizona Game & Fish Department (http://www.azgfd.gov) or go directly to their OHV web page.

Download the new OHV brochure: "Recreational and Motor Vehicle Use in Desert Areas" provided in cooperation with Arizona State Parks.

Draft Policy on OHV Use

A national proposal was released for managing motorized off-highway vehicle (OHV) use in national forests and grasslands, which will enhance recreational opportunities for the public and better protect the environment by requiring units to establish a designated system of roads, trails and areas. The 60-day public comment period on the proposed rule ended September 13, 2004. Comments on the proposed rule are currently being evaluated.

View the proposed rule on the Federal Register directly (pdf).


With summer temperatures averaging in the mid 90s to 100+ degrees throughout most of the forest, any trail adventures should be planned with the appropriate precautionary measures.

Make sure that you have an adequate supply of drinking water, as well as a general idea of the time needed to complete the trip. Let someone know where you will be and when you plan to return.

Arizona OHV Ambassadors:  Cave Creek Ranger District OHV Volunteer Program

The Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, and Arizona State Parks need YOUR HELP to maintain motorized trails, educate people about OHV and outdoor ethics, and numerous other opportunities. Become an Ambassador and be a part of a community working to promote responsible OHV use on the land.

Please follow this link for more information: http://azstateparks.com/ohv/ambassadors.html. We look forward to working with you!

Areas & Activities