Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)

The Motor Vehicle Use Map is free. Copies are available online, at district offices, and the Hood Canal Visitor Center in Hoodsport.

2012 Olympic National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)

We recommend that you print the introductory pages along with the areas you will be traveling to.

Frequently Asked Questions

About Motor Vehicle Use Maps

Forest road.The Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) shows the roads, trails and areas where you can take your Off Highway Vehicle. These roads, trails and areas are designated by type of motor vehicle allowed and the allowable season of use.

For example, on National Forest System Roads that allow motor vehicle use the 2 primary designations are Roads Open to Highway Legal Vehicles Only and Roads Open to All Vehicles.

  • Some examples of the vehicle types that are highway legal are: passenger cars, pickup trucks, SUVs and motorcycles that by state law are licensed for general operation on all public roads within the state.
  • Some examples of vehicles that are not highway legal include: ATVs, UTVs (side by sides), off road motorcycles, golf carts and any other motor vehicle that by state law is not licensed for general operation on all public roads in the state.
  • A road that is designated as open to all motor vehicles allows any motor vehicle both licensed and unlicensed for general operation on all public roads in the state which would include all Off Highway Vehicles.

Refer to the appropriate Motor Vehicle Use Map to determine the allowed motor vehicle use for a specific National Forest System road, trail or area. The map is black and white with no topographic features. The MVUM which displays appropriate use for each road should be used in conjunction with the forest visitor or district maps.

Background Information

The MVUM map is a result of the 2005 National Travel Management Rule requiring each national forest to create a safe and sustainable road system providing access while protecting natural resources.