Recreation Passes & Permits

Permits are required for any commercial use of national forestlands. Any time money changes hands (ie. guide fees, entry fees etc.) or anything is taken off of the Forest (ie. firewood, transplants, rocks, mushrooms, etc.) be sure to get a permit from the local district office well in advance. Permits are also required for specific non-commercial uses on the Forest Service and BLM lands (weddings, family reunions etc.). Check out the San Juan National Forest Special Use Permits for more information.

Recreation Permits

There are currently no recreation permits required for public use of the San Juan National Forest. This includes the Weminuche, Lizard Head and South San Juan Wilderness areas, Chicago Basin, and all other special designation areas.

Interagency Recreation Passes

These national interagency passes offer discounts, free entrances, and cover some standard amenity fees at recreation sites with the following federal agencies:  U.S. Forest Service, National Park Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, and Bureau of Reclamation. 

Ready to buy your pass?