Forest Products Permits

Where can I get a permit for Forest Products?

Examples of Forest Products are firewood, Christmas trees and ornamental rocks. Urbanized areas are less likely to provide forest product permits. However, once away from urban areas, Ranger Districts are more likely to offer permits, but in very limited numbers. For more specific information, contact your local Ranger District. The District Ranger usually decides the number of permits available at a local level.


Stay, Pole & Post Information 

5.0" - 6.9" DBH
$1.00 per tree

2.5" DBH or less
$0.10 per tree

2.6" - 4.9" DBH
$0.50 per tree

DBH: Diameter at Breast Height (measured approximately 4 1/2 feet from ground)

Minimum Purchase: $20 (any combination of stays, poles, posts)

Maximum Purchase: 200 trees of each size (stays, poles, posts)

  • Permits are good for 30 days and will allow cutting of both live and dead trees.  Dead trees can be cut anywhere in the white area on the firewood cutting map, unless otherwise posted.  Live trees must be cut in the designated pole cutting areas on Mosby Mountain, East McKee and Snow Pole.  Please make sure that you have appropriate maps showing the cutting areas.
  • The wood is for personal use ONLY.  The wood can NOT be made into a product and sold.
  • If you have any questions, please call the Ashley National Forest at (435) 789-1181.
  • Take time to know the Utah Highway rules and regulations regarding hauling your forest product.


Ornamentals Information

Aspen Trees
$2.00 Per Tree

Pine Trees
$5.00 Per Tree

Sub-Alpine Fir
$2.00 Per Tree

Height: Trees must be under 6 feet in height

Minimum Purchase:  $20 (any combination of ornamentals)

  • The permit will terminate on the date indicated on the permit regardless of whether forest products are removed.
  • The permit is for personal use ONLY. The permittee may NOT sell or exchange any of the products gathered.
  • Permittee must fill holes in after removal of ornamentals.
  • No trees can be removed in or around campgrounds, developed sites, and/or steam beds.
  • If you have any questions, please call the Ashley National Forest at (435) 789-1181.
  • Take time to know the Utah Highway rules and regulations regarding hauling your forest product.


Christmas Tree Guidelines for Ashley National Forest

When do the Christmas tree permits go on sale?  Permits go on sale on November 15th or the next business day if the 15th is a weekend at the Ashley National Forest Service Offices and on November 15th at vendors. When purchasing your permit be certain that you pick up the Christmas Tree Permit Map as it is part of your permit.

  • Vernal Ranger District Vendors: Davis Jubilee, Lapoint Country Store in Lapoint.
  • Duchesne Ranger District Vendors: Hanna Country Store in Hanna.
  • Roosevelt Ranger District Vendors: Stewart's Thriftway.
  • Flaming Gorge Ranger District Vendors: Manila & Green River Forest Service Offices, Flaming Gorge Resort.

What are the office hours of the Forest Service Offices? The Forest Supervisor's and District offices will be open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

What size of tree can I cut and how much will it cost? Trees up to 15 feet tall may be cut and the cost is $15 per tree.

Can I top off a larger tree and use the upper portion as a Christmas tree? No, trees must be cut within six inches of the ground (not the snow level).

Where can I cut my tree? See specific District maps for further details. The following regulations should be followed when cutting Christmas trees on the Ashley National Forest: Do not cut within 200 feet of riparian areas (streams, lakes, meadows), roads, campgrounds, and administrative sites (including summer home areas & guard stations), or within designated closed areas on the map.

What species can I cut? Any species except Ponderosa Pine may be cut on the Vernal Ranger District. If you are planning on cutting your tree on another District please check the cutting restrictions on the map.

How many trees can I cut and when can I cut? The limit is 1 tree per household. Vernal and Flaming Gorge District Christmas tree permits may be cut through December 25.

Can I buy a permit for someone else? Yes, you may purchase up to two additional permits on the Flaming Gorge and Vernal Ranger Districts. Only one additional permit is allowed to be purchased on the Roosevelt and Duchesne Ranger Districts and it must be for a shut-in. This allows you to buy a permit for someone who cannot purchase the permit themselves. The permits must be issued in the names and addresses of the person for whom the permits are purchased.

Can someone else cut my Christmas tree for me? Yes, however they must have in their possession a completed authorization form (Authorization to Cut & Transport Tree).

Can I sell the tree I cut? No, the trees are for personal use only.

What should I bring with me on my visit to the Ashley National Forest? A 4 wheel drive vehicle, chains, saw, and shovel are recommended. Be prepared for winter weather conditions, dress appropriately, and bring a winter survival kit along with you.


Group Use

What are noncommercial group uses? Noncommercial group uses are any activity conducted on NFS lands involving 75 or more people, either as participants or spectators, in which (a) no entry or participation fee is charged, and (b) the primary purpose of the activity is not the sale of a good or service. Examples of noncommercial activities include club or family recreation outings, reunions, and weddings. No permit fee, bonding, or insurance is required for noncommercial group uses.

Who needs a permit? A permit is required for all noncommercial group uses involving more than 75 people.

How do I apply? Contact the ranger district office in the area where you wish to have your activity. You must complete an application providing (1) the applicant's name and mailing address; (2) if the applicant is an organization, the name of an individual authorized to receive notice of the decision on the application; (3) a description of the activity; (4) the location and description of the NFS lands and facilities you would like to use; (5) the estimated number of participants and spectators; (6) the starting and ending date and time of the activity; and (7) the name of the person or persons 21 years of age or older who will sign the permit on behalf of the applicant. The application must be received by the local ranger district office at least 72 hours in advance of your activity.

How long will it take to get a permit? All applications for noncommercial group uses will be deemed granted unless denied within 48 hours of receipt. If your application is granted, a permit will be issued prior to the start of your activity.

What will the Forest Service consider in evaluating my application? Applications will be granted if they meet the following eight evaluation criteria (for details on the eight criteria, particularly on criteria 5 and 6, review the Code of Federal Regulations at 36 C.F.R. 251.54 (h)(1)):

  1. Authorization of the activity is not prohibited by rules or orders that apply to the national forests or by federal, state, or local law related to the content of activity.
  2. Authorization of the activity is consistent or can be made consistent with standards and guidelines in the forest plan that apply to the area where the activity will take place.
  3. The activity does not materially impact the characteristics or functions of environmentally sensitive resources or lands.
  4. The activity will not delay, halt, or prevent administrative use of an area by the Forest Service or other scheduled or existing activities on NFS lands.
  5. The activity does not violate state and local public health laws and regulations applicable to the site proposed for the activity.
  6. The activity will not pose a substantial danger to public safety.
  7. The activity does not involve military or paramilitary training or exercises by private organizations or individuals, unless such training or exercises are federally funded.
  8. A person (or persons) 21 years of age or older has been designated to sign and do sign a permit on behalf of the applicant.

If your application is denied and an alternative time, place, or manner will allow you to meet all the evaluation criteria, the Forest Service will offer that alternative.

Where can I look for further information regarding noncommercial group uses on NFS lands?

Ashley National Forest
355 North Vernal Ave.
Vernal, UT 84078
Phone # (435) 789-1181
Fax # (435) 781-5142