Other Permits

Who Needs a Recreation Special Use Permit? 

A permit is required for any commercial activity defined as:

  • Any use or activity on National Forest System lands (a) where an entry or participation fee is charged, or (b) where the primary purpose is the sale of a good or service, and in either case, regardless of whether the use or activity is intended to produce a profit .

  • Special use permits are issued at the local Ranger District office

  • Basic requirements for holding a permit include technical and financial capability, payment of a fee, and insurance listing the US Government as additionally insured.

Recreation Event: The Bridger-Teton National Forest receives thousands of requests for recreation event special use authorizations annually. Types of activities that require a recreation event special use permit include, but are not limited to, competitive races, contests, fund raisers, eco-challenges, dog trails, club activities, adventure games and endurance races. If you or your organization is considering holding such an event on the National Forest, you must contact your local Ranger District well in advance of the scheduled event to determine whether a permit is available.

Commercial Filming and Photography: Use of National Forest System land for commercial filming and still photography requires a special use authorization. For specific information related to the need for a permit see the Introduction to Event/Commercial Permits page. 

Geocaching Guidelines:

Geocaching:  is an activity where participants seek out locations or hidden containers, called "caches", using a variety of methods and clues that may include GPS (global positioning systems) other navigational aids.   A typical cache may include a memento or prize, or be a waterproof container containing a logbook where the “Geocacher” or locator enters the date they found it. 

Geocaching is often described as a "game of high-tech hide and seek," sharing many aspects of orienteering or treasure hunting.

Geocaching is not permitted in congressionally designated Wilderness Areas per FSM 2320, or in any other nationally designated areas such as national scenic areas, historic or scenic trails.

Geocaching is permissible in all other General Forest Areas provided there is no natural resource damage or vandalism to government facilities.

Geocaching is not permitted within areas designated as national historic landmarks, sites, or pre-historic sites.

When Geocaching, natural resources are not to be disturbed, nor are they allowed to be removed from NFS lands. That includes soil disturbance/digging, removal of vegetation, disturbance of natural features, etc.  Avoid sensitive areas like wetlands or streams. 

When Geocaching, historical artifacts or features are not to be disturbed or removed.  

Geocaching shall not interfere with other permitted activities such as outfitter and guide designated campsites. 

When Geocaching, motorized vehicle use and parking shall be in compliance with BTNF travel regulations and Motor Vehicle Use Maps.

Geocachers are not required to have a permit provided that they are in-compliance with all other FS regulations and policy concerning group size and fees.

Labeling: Please label Geocaches as such to avoid any confusion or safety concerns. For more information visit the external link, "Tread Lightly Tips for Responsible Geocaching" to help you be in accordance with Forest regulations. 

Recreation Residence (Summer Homes) Program

Recreation Residence Information:

Summer homes, also referred to as recreation residences, have a long tradition on the Bridger-Teton National Forest. Some of these homes date back to the early 1900's.

Recreation residences, or summer homes, are private structures located on National Forest System land. The structures are authorized under a special use permit issued by the local Ranger District office. Recreation residences sell through reality offices. If you are interested in purchasing one, please contact a realitor in the area where you are interested. Prior to purchase of a recreation residence, you are required to meet with the local District Ranger to discuss requirements of holding a special use authorization. National Forest Homeowners Association

Appraisals - 2007:

Living Trusts:

 Heritage Requirements and Information:

Links to Educational and Helpful Web Sites: